There are only a million websites out there geared towards content marketing and social media marketing- this morning I found a cool article with a great graphic from ovrdrv.com that provides a map to all of the various social media platforms, social listening tools, and content tools one could want in 2015. I’ve used quite a few, so I’ll add my own personal favorites- and some notes on what I don’t like and why.
Foursquare: What? Is anyone even on there anymore? Totally irrelevant and I don’t see it making a comeback anytime soon. Its prime moment was when the Mars Rover checked in from Mars. And then, it went back to being stupid.
• Social networks: Facebook, Google+, LinkedIn, Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram, and LinkedIn. Note: 2015 trends are very visual so we’re seeing a lot of businesses using Pinterest, Instagram, YouTube, and Vimeo.
• Content creation tools: Slideshare, Storify
• Social media management and tracking: Hootsuite and Buffer
• Social search: Twitter search is AWESOME! Socialmention and Topsy are pretty decent as well.
• Blogging: In order of preference WordPress, Medium, then Tumblr
• Social recruiting: Thumbtack (although I would categorize it more of a lead generation tool for business owners)
• Local/location based: Google+ Local (this affects your position on Google’s organic search results- being very active on Google+ is a must if you want better visibility)
• URL shorteners: bit.ly- you can customize yours to match your brand, and ow.ly is what Hootsuite uses.
• Social Q/A: Quora is a must- it can be leveraged to show your expertise in your field. This will help get you to the point of being an influencer.
• Social Reviews: Yelp, always great, but honestly Google reviews weren’t listed (not sure why) because they matter the most.
• Social payment and commerce: Venmo. Let’s say you and your sister order Chinese and she has the cash and you only have debit- you can send her your half via Venmo. So easy. And yes, my example was really what happened- so, thanks sis for showing me this awesome app! And Shopkick is THE best app ever- seriously- you get “kicks” walking into stores. Get enough kicks and you can redeem them for gift cards to a million places- just to give you an idea- I’ve redeemed my kicks for gift cards to Target, Macys, and Fandango.
Myspace is totally irrelevant and SO 2004. Go away, Myspace. Whisper, YikYak, Secret- alright, I guess, if you’re fifteen.
What I don’t like:
• Myspace: Totally irrelevant and SO 2004. Go away, Myspace.
• Whisper, YikYak, Secret- alright, I guess, if you’re fifteen.
• Tagged- SO spammy.
• Howsociable: Hated this. I even had a paid account. I literally got zero information from this site and even received an email from one of the staff after I questioned how to get results apologizing and that they were working on it. Don’t waste your time or money. It’s a giant bust.
• Tweetdeck: Hootsuite is so much better.
• Vine: Again, its okay, if you’re fifteen.
• Foursquare: What? Is anyone even on there anymore? Totally irrelevant and I don’t see it making a comeback anytime soon. Its prime moment was when the Mars Rover checked in from Mars. And then, it went back to being stupid.
I want to know what you all like/prefer and why- as well as what you don’t like and why- leave a response in the comments!